In today’s episode I talk about potatoes.
Now its been a while since I’ve grown potatoes so excuse any mistakes. The great thing is that since my time some new methods have come to light to grow these wonderful spuds. I’ve got Yukon gold seed potatoes pre-ordered this year and I could not be more excited!
- Potatoes are old, having been found in Peru and Chilean ruins dating to 500 BC. They are inherently an Incan food.
- The Spanish found potatoes when they arrived in Peru in 1532.
- The potato (like the family member tomato) was NOT well received in Europe for quite a while.
- In the late 1500’s the Irish readily adopt the potato. There are reasons.
- Potatoes had to be REintroduced to the New World in the 1700’s.
- How lack of adoption of potatoes as a food source led to the collapse of a major European power.
- In the 1800’s the potato famine hit Ireland. At least a million died.
- Idaho’s potato industry owes much to the Irish famine.
- My personal experiences with potatoes
- How to grow them.
- The varieties.