Today I tackle some myths and misconceptions about raising chickens.
Whether you raise them for meat, eggs or simply as pets I’m sure you hear some of these misconceptions repeated to you as fact:
- Feeding layers eggshells will absolutely result in cannabilizing of eggs.
- You have to have a rooster if you want good egg production.
- Keeping chickens will give you bird flu.
- Confining chickens is inhumane.
- Chickens are vegetarians.
- Brown eggs taste better/are more nutritious.
- You should give your chickens run of the garden.
- Hens lay all the time.
- Chickens are stupid.
- Chickens are dirty.
Learn where these myths come from and learn the reasons why they simply aren’t true (well all the time anyways).