Today we are lucky enough to welcome back to the show Rick Worden from Rise and Shine Rabbitry.
Last time we discussed the basics of raising rabbits. Today Rick tackles some questions about advanced topics for the more experienced rabbit breeder. Including:
- Features to look for to enhance with a breeding program.
- When do you make the decision to cull? What brings on that decision?
- How does linebreeding work to enhance breeding stock and quantity?
- How do you tell if the doe is bred prior to the hair pulling?
- If you are not sure your doe is bred or not, is it safe to rebreed?
- The effects of temperature, daylight, daylength on breeding?
- If I have the doe bred and then I repeat too soon can I cause miscarriages?
- The list of foods that are safe/moderate and unsafe is immense. Is there a general rule? For instance – high sugar foods are moderate. Grasses are generally safe?
- Which garden grown food do you feel gives the most bang for the buck?
- When the babies are born what steps should the rabbit breeder take?
- Is a 20% mortality rate is expected. What can be done to lessen that?
- Some more details about disease and what can be done with sanitation to prevent disease.